Would you favor being able to trade the 1:1 pick?

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How do we know?  Who is to say the league would turn down Myers, Hosmer and Abrams for Dean Kremer?  That’s essentially buying Abrams.

And if that’s the issue, why are people worried about this for the draft?

I meant literally sell.  As an Oriole fan you have seen examples of a team willing to attach bad contacts to trades.  Matusz and O'Day for instance.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I meant literally sell.  As an Oriole fan you have seen examples of a team willing to attach bad contacts to trades.  Matusz and O'Day for instance.

Oh..when I’m saying sell it, I’m saying taking on a bad contract.

I don’t MLB would allow a team to literally pay for a pick.  I think that’s an issue that isn’t really something to consider.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How do we know?  Who is to say the league would turn down Myers, Hosmer and Abrams for Dean Kremer?  That’s essentially buying Abrams.

And if that’s the issue, why are people worried about this for the draft?

I think your point is valid that there is not much difference between being able to trade a prospect and being able to trade a draft pick.   The only difference I see is that on draft day, transactions happen very quickly and there really isn’t time for the league office to review and approve the trades as they do for other transactions.   That increases the potential for some abusive transactions involving financially strapped teams.   However, it seems the league could always retain the right to void a transaction after the fact.   That could really screw the team trading the pick, since that team wouldn’t necessarily choose the same player as the team receiving the pick, but too bad.   Take that risk if you want to trade a pick.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I think your point is valid that there is not much difference between being able to trade a prospect and being able to trade a draft pick.   The only difference I see is that on draft day, transactions happen very quickly and there really isn’t time for the league office to review and approve the trades as they do for other transactions.   That increases the potential for some abusive transactions involving financially strapped teams.   However, it seems the league could always retain the right to void a transaction after the fact.   That could really screw the team trading the pick, since that team wouldn’t necessarily choose the same player as the team receiving the pick, but too bad.   Take that risk if you want to trade a pick.   

Trade has to be approved on draft day and there can be certain language in the CBA about it.

I just don’t see this being an issue or something to worry about.  Seems like something people are making up in their minds.  I mean, does this happen in any sport?  

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Trade has to be approved on draft day and there can be certain language in the CBA about it.

I just don’t see this being an issue or something to worry about.  Seems like something people are making up in their minds.  I mean, does this happen in any sport?  

Well, I’m in favor of allowing these trades, so don’t get me wrong.   But baseball does have some history with financially strapped teams making trades that were bad for the team due to the owners’ short term financial reasons.    And, there’s more disparity in the financial situations of baseball teams compared to other sports.   So, that’s why they pay more attention to this stuff than the other sports.  However, there really isn’t a reason to distinguish trading draft picks vs. players other than what I mentioned, so far as I can see.